Together at Christmas
Better Bankside's Together at Christmas is an annual festive appeal that supports homeless, vulnerably housed and elderly people in the Bankside area and across Southwark.
Every year, Better Bankside's business members donate gift items such as warm clothing, toiletries and edible treats, which volunteers wrap to make into gift parcels that we deliver to hostels, sheltered accommodation units and various community organisations across Southwark.
In 2018, the Together at Christmas collection was our most successful campaign to date:
- 2,013 homeless, vulnerable and elderly people received gift parcels
- 32 community projects, hostels and charities were supported
- 115 Bankside businesses got involved by hosting collection boxes and supporting our wrapping sessions
- 157 volunteers helped wrap and prepare gift parcels for delivery
- Over 10,000 individual items were donated, with extra donations of unwrapped items including toiletries, interview-appropriate clothing and non-perishable foods made to several local community organisations
- £1500 was donated to St Mungo's to fund its Great Guildford Street hostel and other St Mungo's services in Southwark that help homeless people rebuild their lives
Better Bankside would like to thank everyone who supported the appeal in 2018 - all the businesses and people who work in the area who got involved, as well as St Mungo's Recovery College and The Bridge for letting us host wrapping sessions in their spaces and also Zipvan for its generous support with deliveries. You can also read thank you messages from some of the people who benefited from the gifts in our Thank You Report.
We'll launch the 2019 appeal in the autumn, but if you'd like to find out how your organisation can get involved in the local community throughout the year, please contact rn [at] betterbankside.co.uk (subject: Supporting%20the%20local%20community) (Rachel Nicholson), Corporate Responsibility Manager, who can advise you on a wide range of options including volunteering, fundraising and in-kind donations.