Building careers in construction for disadvantaged young people in Southwark
Construction YouthConstruction Youth
@8build So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for your support!Fri Mar 24 16:15:57 +0000 2017 AGO Reply Tweet Favorite
Excited to be there on Monday! https://t.co/F9nnhiD0WKFri Mar 24 15:31:13 +0000 2017 AGO Reply Tweet Favorite
Great to see students getting involved at the Livery showcase this week - we introduced them to the world of… https://t.co/CkCCZ0jRpqFri Mar 24 14:23:22 +0000 2017 AGO Reply Tweet Favorite
Construction Youth Trust (CYT) help young people aged 16-30 facing social or economic barriers to build better futures by giving them access to training, education and employment. Their range of programmes includes Budding Builders courses providing practical construction skills training (tiling, bricklaying carpentry, painting etc.), employability coaching, accredited qualifications, work placements and support to enter employment or further training.
You dont need to work in the Construction Industry to support their work and benefit from engaging with CYT.
- Develop your presentation, communication and leadership skills whilst sharing your knowledge around key employability topics such as:
- team working
- working with your manager
- understanding your job role
- personal presentation skills
- body language and dress code
- organising skills
- numeracy skills
- verbal communication skills
- problem solving
- time keeping and time management
- literacy and numeracy skills
- creativity/ thinking outside the box
- CV workshops
- Mock interviews
- Offer building/ office tours demonstrating interesting construction aspects of buildings (e.g. stonemasonry, building re-purposing, sustainable environmental fitting and the use of carpentry, lighting and utilities)
- Provide work placements/ shadowing in areas related to construction, maintenance and Health & Safety
- Visits to construction sites and built environment locations
- Employer talks
- Provide in-kind donations in the form of tools and materials for their courses
- Request resources built for you such as benches, planters or animal habitats like hedgehog houses, bat and bird boxes
CYT have recently developed a Mentoring Programme allowing students to gain real insight into the various employment roles in the Construction Industry.
Expectations of the mentoring programme:
- Initial meeting
- One-day work shadowing
- Two follow-up telephone calls as a sounding board for their professional development
Contact us and get involved in supporting the work of Construction Youth Trust helping local people into sustainable employment.
More information about the work of Construction Youth Trust can be found here.
Registered charity Number: 1094323