The Great Get Together Bankside Needs Volunteers
On Sunday 18, June Bankside Open Spaces Trust (BOST) is hosting what is likely to be the biggest street party the area has seen, with everything from bake offs to bark offs! It’s all part of ‘The Great Get Together’, a nationwide event inspired by Jo Cox and marks the first anniversary of her murder.
With special guest David Haye getting the party started it promises to be a fun day to help bring us together as a community. Some roads will be closed and the area will be taken over by a dog show, urban farm, wacky races, pop-up fitness classes, a kids zone, live music, bars from food and drink superstars Bompas and Parr and others, maypole dancing, and much, much more. We hope to have something for everyone!
Volunteers are needed to help over the weekend. It would be fantastic if you have experience working on festivals and have basic first aid training, but any support or skills you can offer, would be truly appreciated. Training will be provided in advance for the relevant duties to be performed on the day.
Volunteer roles include
- Help with the setting up of the event
- To decorate the site (Saturday evening & Sunday morning)
- Putting up the barriers to close the road
- Help with the various activities throughout the day on Sunday
- Picking up litter and general tidy up during and at the end of the event
- Managing the production vehicle access points and parking areas
- Managing the fire exit point and first aid points
- Managing the public entrance point and information points
- Ad hoc duties
This will be a unique street party and community event. To get involved contact us.
Festival Activities will include:
- Gentlemen Baristas Whacky Races (Channel your inner Dick Dastardly, Peter Perfect or even Penelope Pitstop for a splendiferously silly, fun-filled afternoon of japes, racing and gamesmanship. Who can run the fastest with an egg and spoon? Who can bounce furthest on a space hopper? Only time will tell! Rules: Teams of four and fancy dress is compulsory).
- Best In Dog Show
- Kids Zone
- Live music programmed by Danny Decourtelle from SuperGlad Music
- Bompas and Parr, Hotel Elephant and Corsica Studios
- Flat Iron Square and Vintage Market
- Hip Hop Shakespeare Company
- Globe Theatre
- Surrey Docks Farm
- Comedy from Edinburgh Fringe
This ambitious street party will line our pavements with a multitude of colour, laughter music, theatre and food. Union Street, Flat Iron Square, Redcross Way and Redcross Gardens will have special treats in store, celebrating the multicultural and creative heritage of our city, a summer of love party for the young and old and visiting communities.
Inspired by the late Jo Cox, The Great Get Together street party hopes you will come and share in what matters, to bring our communities closer together. Everyone welcome to have some fun.