Volunteer marshals required for London's first 'Open Streets'
London’s first Open Streets is coming to Great Suffolk St, London SE1, on Saturday 30th May.
We need your help and it’s a perfect opportunity for individuals or teams to get out on the street, making a special day the community will remember. You can even bring your family to join in the fun while you help out.
What is Open Streets?
Open Streets is about connecting people and places, and boosting local businesses. Born 40 years ago in Latin America, hundreds of Open Streets events take place every year in cities across Europe, Africa and the USA, where they have inspired permanent urban change.
Great Suffolk St will be closed to motor traffic between 11am and 4pm from Southwark Street to Toulmin Street so that adults and children can safely play, walk, bike, run, shop, eat, participate in activities or just sit, listen to music and relax. A variety of activities will be on offer in the fitness, relaxation, arts, kids and cycling zones. Southwark Street and Southwark Bridge Road will remain open to traffic, and the junction with Great Suffolk Street will be marshalled. sak [at] betterbankside.co.uk (subject: Open%20Streets) ( Contact us to get involved now)
The purpose of the role:
- Keep people safe – keep an eye on a designated area of the street
- Provide information and advice to visitors
- Attend road closure points and re-direct vehicles as necessary
- Notify event organisers of the arrival of designated vehicles and accompany them on foot to their destination
- Monitor crowd levels
- Ensure visitors do not go in certain areas or tamper with event equipment
- Report any safety issues that occur
- Notify security in the event of trouble (you should not intervene yourself)
- Notify festival staff and emergency services in the event of an emergency
A good marshal should be:
- Friendly, polite and approachable
- Comfortable speaking with the public
- Honest and reliable
All marshals will need to:
- Attend a training meeting
- Be available to attend the festival from 10am to 4.30pm on Saturday 30th May
- Have a good level of spoken English
- Have a working mobile phone and be willing to share their number with the festival organisers
No prior experience is needed. sak [at] betterbankside.co.uk (subject: Street%20Marshal%20for%20Open%20Streets) (Email us) if you are interested in this role.
Unable to Marshal but still keen to get invovled?
The event is also looking for other volunteers, including team leaders for the various activity zones and people who can help publicise the event via leafleting, social media, or liaising with other local organisations. sak [at] betterbankside.co.uk (subject: Open%20Street%20volunteering) (Let us know if you or your colleagues are interested!)