Bustling Bankside aims to get you out walking, whether it be for work, education, exercise or for pleasure. From free guided walks to smart commuter travel solutions, our walking portal has all the information you need on walking in Bankside. Check the events page for upcoming walking tours.
Bankside Speed Walkers
Start the week with an energising speed walk.
The Bankside Speed Walkers are a group of local employees who walk for fitness and fun, exploring the area and keeping healthy. It is very easy for you to get involved with the initiative. Be a Bankside Speed Walker by coming along to a weekly walking session, or even starting your own speed walking group within your workplace!
Every Monday lunchtime Better Bankside run free 40 minute speed walks, leaving from Flat Iron Square, Union Street. We aim to walk between 2.4 and 2.8 miles each week.
The group leaves promptly at 1.10pm and arrives back at Flat Iron Square at 1.50pm
Every week the team calculate routes that explore quiet, less polluted, less well known routes through and around Bankside. They aim to teach you good walking habbits and encourage you to use walking as your main mode of transport in Bankside. Speed Walking is a simple and effective free activity. It helps to improve your overall health and fitness and is a great way to lose weight, tone your muscles, strengthen your heart and instill a general feeling of well-being and positive self-esteem. Exploring new routes can help you incorporate more walking into your every day routine.
Speed Walking makes you FEEL GREAT because it can:
- give you more energy
- increase stamina
- reduce stress
- improves your mood
- help you relax and sleep better
- provides an opportunity to meet new people
Speed Walking is great for your health as it helps to reduce the risk of:
- developing heart disease
- becoming overweight
- high blood pressure
- some cancers
- diabetes that is not dependent on insulin
- a stroke
Aim for 30 minutes of brisk walking on most days of the week
Why not try:
- walking with a friend
- getting off the bus or tube a stop earlier
- using the stairs instead of taking the lift or escalator
- going for a walk at lunchtime
- to find new places to walk and explore
- taking the dog for a walk
- walking the children to school
- Speed Walking is great for your finances when it saves you your bus or train fare.
- Speed Walking helps the environment when you walk instead of taking the car.
Did you know that?
- Ditching the breakfast cereal for a natural protein and fat based meal is far better for your health and fat loss! Replacing your usual sugar laden breakfast cereal for a protein and healthy fat based meal can influence your fat loss as sugar is a large cause of weight gain!
- Regular exercise can boost brain power. Every muscle being moved when you walk, jog, swim or dance sends hormones rushing to your brain. The hormones then mix with a substance called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which helps to regulate mood and learning powers!
- Muscle is more dense than fat and muscle is more metabolically active then fat, so the more you have the more calories you are going to burn off. Build muscle and shrink the fat!’
Discover more of Bankside on foot with themed itineraries that guide you through topics ranging from the hidden green spaces of Bankside to Filmset locations in the area.
These itineraries can be found here www.visitbankside.com/itineraries
Inns and Yards of Bankside By local historian: Leonard Reilly
Borough High Street is the spine of the ancient town of Southwark. However, evidence of its distinguished history is not immediately obvious. This walk will go behind the scenes of Borough High Street, to focus on its most distinctive feature, the yards and alleys that run perpendicular to it for most of its length. Many gave access to grand inns, which provided services to traveler’s centuries ago, others were home to prisons, some led to some of London's worst slums and today some can mislead, charm and surprise.
Walk Related Links
Map My Walk Find fitness at your own pace. Plan, track, study and share your journey with MapMyWalk.
London Walks London's award-winning, original, foremost, signature walking tour company. Group tours available. Join 'Along the Thames Pub Walk' every Friday to discover quirky facts about Bankside.
South London Arts Map (SLAM) The South London Art Map runs tours and their Last Fridays Walking Tour explore the late night opening of galleries and studios. 1st Saturdays Walking Tour offers a relaxed amble around exhibitions, studios and events.
Summer Walking Ideas - TFL's guide to exploring the capital by foot- includes walking journey planner, audio guides and maps.
Southbank Ramblers Local division of the Ramblers Association. Offers a comprehensive programme of walks.
London Adventure Group A fun and friendly group, who organise walking holidays, adventure weekends, day trips from London and social events. A wide variety of nationalities are represented.
Meet Up (SE1) Large network of local and community groups. Includes many social walking groups.
Central London Outdoor Group (CLOG) is for people interested in walks and other outdoor activities.
Living Streets is the national charity that stands up for pedestrians. With their supporters, they work to create safe, attractive and enjoyable streets.