Are you game for a chilly challenge on 25 November 2016?
This November you can raise sponsorship for Southwark and Lambeth’s homeless night shelter by experiencing for yourself what it is like to sleep rough for just one night. You can register to take part in this year’s sponsored Sleep Out event until 18 November – but why wait?
The Robes Sleep Out is a sponsored event where individuals or teams of fundraisers spend a night sleeping outside Southwark Cathedral to raise awareness and funds for the Robes Project’s night shelter.
This year is the sixth Sleep Out and will take place overnight on Friday 25 November 2015 from 7pm to 7am Saturday 26 November.
About the Robes Project winter night shelter
- Robes operates a volunteer run winter night shelter for the homeless across Southwark and Lambeth.
- They also provide a range of support services to help their homeless shelter guests rebuild their lives.
- In the winter of 2016/17 they will be running two shelters simultaneously, each night for the first time!
- 28 church venues and more than 500 volunteers will provide food, shelter, advice and support for around 70 people sleeping rough in South London.
- It will cost Robes £210,000 to cover the costs of expansion and a year’s running costs. They rely solely on donations from churches, individuals, businesses and grants to keep the project going.
What happens on the night?
There will be musical entertainment, from 8pm, an auction, and a short evening service, will take place at 10:00pm. There will be time to socialise over refreshments before bedding down for the night.
Please arrive between 7pm and 9pm on Friday 27 November. The Sleepout ends at 7am on Saturday 28 November.
There will be
- a small security group looking after our safety
- a First Aid point
- administrative staff taking care of registration
- a small army of helpers with refreshments
Please read the 2016 factsheet for details of what you, and any others who might come with you, will need on the night. Hot drinks, toilet facilities and first aid will be available during the night, along with emergency shelter, in case of extreme weather conditions.