Fancy a role in the theatre?
Southwark Playhouse’s Young Company is a group of young adults aspiring to make their career in the arts. The young people are trying to pick up the employability skills they need to turn their craft into a career.
They are looking for volunteers who work locally to mentor selected members of the company who have shown an interest in an area outside of acting, helping them develop a professional toolkit of skills and knowledge to employ within the theatre industry and more widely.
Mentors with skills or experience in fundraising, marketing, project management or branding – from any sector or industry – will help the young people prepare for a life working in the arts and cultural organisations. Ideally mentors would also be able to provide a short work placement or insight opportunity with their employer for the Young Company member.
Mentors’ skills could include (but are not limited to)
- Identify career pathways outside of theatre connected both to the mentor’s expertise and the member’s area of interest
- Support the Young Company member in preparing a professional CV Identify opportunities for the Young Company member to apply the skills learnt in a Young Company project or production
- Finance – Account management, budgeting and associated ICT skills
- Project/event Management – Scheduling, teamwork and communications, and ICT skills
- Fundraising – Letter/bid writing, building effective relationships, networking
- Publicity and Marketing – creating an effective marketing strategy, engaging new audiences, advertising and print design
- Social media and new technologies – maximizing reach on social networks, innovative thinking and strategy, ICT
Mentors will gain the opportunity to apply their expertise in a theatre industry context.
More about Southwark Playhouse Young Company
Southwark Playhouse is a vibrant theatre in the heart of Southwark, serving the widest possible constituency in the borough and beyond, providing a platform for emerging theatre practitioners and a programme of performance, education work and community drama. The Young Company furthers that vision through the provision of high quality performance opportunities and free workshops for Young People aged 11-25 with little or no formal experience or training, all at no cost to the participants. sak [at] betterbankside.co.uk (subject: Southwark%20Playhouse%20Young%20Company%20mentoring) (Contact us to get involved)