Fancy a role in the theatre? Mentors needed with management, marketing, media and more
Southwark Playhouse’s Young Company is a group of young adults aspiring to make their career in the arts. The group is trying to pick up the employability skills they need to turn their craft into a career.
They are looking for volunteers who work locally to mentor selected members of the company who have shown an interest in an area outside of acting, helping them develop a professional toolkit of skills and knowledge to employ within the theatre industry and more widely.
Working over a 10-week project cycle, mentors with skills or experience in fundraising, marketing, project management or branding – from any sector or industry – will help the young people prepare for a life working in the arts and cultural organisations. You will need to be able to commit to being a mentor for one young adult over the full 10-week project cycle. Southwark Playhouse will be the base for the majority of the time, but ideally mentors would also be able to provide a short work placement or insight opportunity with their employer for the Young Company member.
A mentor’s responsibilities to a Young Company member will include:
- Regular (fortnightly) meetings with the Young Company member at the Playhouse
- Supporting Young Company member to identify career pathways outside of theatre connected both to the mentor’s expertise and the member’s area of interest
- Support the Young Company member in preparing a professional CV
- Identify opportunities for the Young Company member to apply the skills learnt in a Young Company project or production
Mentors’ skills could include (but are not limited to) –
- Finance – Account management, budgeting and associated ICT skills
- Project/event Management – Scheduling, teamwork and communications, and ICT skills
- Fundraising – Letter/bid writing, building effective relationships, networking
- Publicity and Marketing – creating an effective marketing strategy, engaging new audiences, advertising and print design
- Social media and new technologies – maximizing reach on social networks, innovative thinking and strategy, ICT
Mentors will gain the opportunity to apply their expertise in a theatre industry context, as well as receiving tickets to see Young Company performance and a credit in programmes.
More about Southwark Playhouse Young Company
Southwark Playhouse is a vibrant theatre in the heart of Southwark, serving the widest possible constituency in the borough and beyond, providing a platform for emerging theatre practitioners and a programme of performance, education work and community drama. The Young Company furthers that vision through the provision of high quality performance opportunities and free workshops for Young People aged 11-25 with little or no formal experience or training, all at no cost to the participants.
To find out more about what’s involved, or learn about similar opportunities, contact: Paul Edwards, Young Company Co-ordinator paul.edwards [at] southwarkplayhouse.co.uk 0207 407 0234