This two hour online Deaf awareness training is run by Remark!, a Deaf led organisation all about empowering Deaf people. They provide British Sign Language interpreting and training and support the Deaf community.
This session will cover:
- Basic Deaf Awareness, including how to approach a Deaf person. Taking care not to shout or be frustrated with a Deaf person
- How to communicate when wearing a mask during Covid-19, as many Deaf people rely on lipreading and facial expression
- What is deafness?
- Coping with communication difficulties
- Deaf culture
- Tips for effective communication
- What is BSL vs. Makaton
- Getting a Deaf person’s attention
- Deaf Technology
- Basic signing / greetings
This is an online event. A zoom link will be sent out nearer to the time.
You are welcome to join this event if you live or work in Bankside.
This is part of our annual Better You programme to support your health and wellbeing, designed to encourage you to be your best and happiest self, whatever 2022 may bring.