Who is the workshop for?
For anyone who deals with or responds to street-based sexual violence in the course of their roles. For example, private security professionals (door staff as well as on-street wardens), including supervisors and managers.
The training is available to staff working in the following areas: Waterloo, Southbank, Bankside, London Bridge, Camberwell, or Herne Hill.
This online workshop, delivered by two specialist sexual violence response and prevention facilitators from Good Night Out, will arm attendees with the skills to better respond to and support victims of all forms of street-based sexual violence. What works for you in your role and how can you better support members of the public? Through a range of interactive discussions, activities and scenarios, we will cover the following topics:
- What is street-based sexual violence?
- Understanding drivers of street-based sexual violence: the gendered context
- Consent and the law
- Perpetrator tactics
- Being an active and informed bystander
- Understanding possible victim/survivor responses using a trauma-informed framework
- What do victims/survivors need from you? Providing compassionate support
- Helpful and unhelpful responses
- Providing support and appropriate signposting
Safety and sensitivity are paramount, and external support for the issues raised will be provided through specialist signposting.
Good Night Out is the campaign for safer nightlife, first started as a grassroots response to street-based sexual violence in 2014. We believe that nightlife and public space should be about fun and freedom, not fear. Our training, advocacy and policy work aims to generate safety and belonging for everyone, in every space.