Better Bankside’s annual Christmas gift appeal gives Banksiders an opportunity to give back during the festive season. This year is no different, and thanks to the generous support from Bankside businesses, gift parcels will be delivered to nearly 900 people experiencing homelessness, struggling with their mental health, and to our older neighbours.
This year, we worked really closely with the hostels, charities and community services to make sure that everyone receives a present that is tailored to their needs, whether that’s warm clothing, toiletries, food or fun gift items such as dominoes and crossword books!
As ever, we’ve had some generous donations made by individuals as well as local businesses including Waterfront Solicitors, The Clearing, Winckworth Sherwood, and Southwark Squares. Nearly 3000 individual gift items were donated using our online wish lists, and these are now on their way to 13 different charities and community-based services in Bankside and across Southwark including:
- St Mungo’s Great Guildford Street hostel and Semi-Independent Living service
- United St Saviours’ Hopton Street Almshouses
- Blackfriars Settlement Positive Ageing and Mental Health & Wellbeing services
- Lucy Brown House sheltered accommodation
- The Manna Society
- Look Ahead David Barker House, Joe Richards House and Manor Place hostels
- Southwark Council’s Keyworth Street, Northcott House and Wren Road hostels
It’s not too late to make a difference this winter. Donate to Bankside’s Frost Fair Fund in support of local charity the Manna Society, a day centre for homeless people that provides warm food and a warm welcome, as well as housing and welfare advice.