Christmas is a great time of year with plenty of parties and festivities to enjoy but it’s important to look after yourself. Here are our top ten tips for staying safe over the festive season.
- Make sure you know how you're getting home. Plan your train journey in advance and make sure you don't miss your last train.
- Avoid catching unlicensed or cabs you haven’t pre-booked. If you haven't booked your taxi through a minicab office, a legitimate app or hailed a Black Taxi, it's just a stranger’s car. Try using Transport for London's Cabwise app and make telling your friends you got home safe a bit more fun with a #homesafeselfie.
- If using public transport, have your Oyster card ready in your hand so that your wallet or purse is out of sight.
- Always wait for the bus or train in a well-lit place near other people if possible and try and arrange for someone to meet you at the bus stop or station.
- If a bus is empty, stay on the lower deck. On trains, avoid empty compartments.
- If you're on a night out, avoid being on your own. Consider leaving bars and clubs with colleagues or friends and always let someone know when you're leaving.
- During the Christmas party season people may be tempted to indulge in a few drinks. Make sure you know your limits. Alternate your alcoholic drinks with a glass of water and don’t drink on an empty stomach.
- Never leave your drink unattended. If someone offers to buy you a drink, go to the bar with them.
- Look after your property. Make sure you keep your belongings in a place where you can see them. Don't leave your bags unattended.
- Consider getting a personal safety alarm for extra peace of mind and security.
See the attached documents for further top tips on keeping safe this Christmas