The City of London Corporation is planning major essential maintenance works to Tower Bridge from Saturday 1 October to Friday 30 December 2016.
This means that there will be no motorised traffic or cycling permitted across the bridge during that time.
A diversion route will be put in place as follows:
- Northbound: crossing over London Bridge from Borough High Street to Monument and east onto Eastcheap or Fenchurch Street
- Southbound: crossing over Southwark Bridge from Upper Thames Street, to Southwark Bridge Road/Marshalsea Road and onto Great Dover Street.
Tower Bridge is on the boundary route for the Congestion Charging zone - vehicles crossing Tower Bridge don't have to pay the Congestion Charge. Drivers that follow the signed diversion in the direction of travel shown on the road signs, won't have to pay the Congestion Charge.
Pedestrians will be able to walk across the bridge as normal, except for the following weekends from 08:00-22:00:
- Saturday 26 to Sunday 27 November
- Saturday 3 to Sunday 4 December
- Saturday 10 to Sunday 11 December
Thre will be a foot passenger ferry service free of charge during these periods.
You can find out more about the closure and arrangements for bus diversions, the diversion route and the suggested cycle diversion route here.
Image: By © User:Colin / Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48114564