Russia’s invasion and bombing campaign has sparked outrage, with many of our friends, members and neighbours in Bankside asking how they can help the people of Ukraine.
We have collated some information below about how you and your business can help. However, as campaigns and initiatives are being set up all the time, we ask you keep updated by visiting Community Southwark for up to the minute details on how you can help.
- MercyCorps , who have an office in Southwark Street, is mobilising a team to the region to deliver support on the ground. They anticipate providing emergency cash assistance as well as supporting local organisations that know their community needs best. Your donation will help over 200,000 people with emergency cash, food, water and sanitation supplies.
- Ukrainian writer and friend of Borough Market @oliahercules has started fundraising alongside @alissatimoshkina to help those affected in Ukraine. You can get involved by following them on #CookforUkraine and checking out their feeds.
- Humanity & Inclusion UK , who are based in Bankside, have deployed a team of emergency experts to Ukraine, and neighbouring countries, to assess the humanitarian situation. Donations will be used to ensure that the most vulnerable people, including injured, disabled, elderly people and those with chronic illnesses, receive the specialist care they need in this crisis.
- Unicef is taking donations to help the millions of children and families put in danger by the conflict
- The British Red Cross appeal will help provide access to clean water and food, making sure that children’s health and protective services are sustained.
- UNHCR, the UN Refugee agency, is calling for help to provide emergency aid and lifesaving support to families forced to flee their homes.
- Choose Love has launched an appeal to get aid and services to those still in and fleeing the country, including: emergency medical care, food, shelter, clothes, legal support, support for the LGBTQIA+ community and mental health support.
- With Ukraine has been established by the Embassy of Ukraine in the UK to provide humanitarian assistance to the civilian population.
In difficult times, the Bankside community has always worked together to create impact, and we hope these contacts help those of you who want to support people affected by the crisis in Ukraine.