This two hour in person Deaf awareness training is run by Remark!, a Deaf led organisation all about empowering Deaf people. They provide British Sign Language interpreting and training and support the Deaf community.
This session will cover:
- Basic Deaf Awareness, including how to approach a Deaf person. Taking care not to shout or be frustrated with a Deaf person
- How to communicate when wearing a mask during Covid-19, as many Deaf people rely on lipreading and facial expression
- What is deafness?
- Coping with communication difficulties
- Deaf culture
- Tips for effective communication
- What is BSL vs. Makaton
- Getting a Deaf person’s attention
- Deaf Technology
- Basic signing / greetings
The session will be held in person at Better Bankside Community Space.
You are welcome to join this event if you live or work in Bankside.