This two hour in person Deaf awareness training is run by Remark!, a Deaf led organisation all about empowering Deaf people. They provide British Sign Language interpreting and training and support the Deaf community.
This session will cover:
- Basic Deaf Awareness, including how to approach a Deaf person. Taking care not to shout or be frustrated with a Deaf person
- How to communicate when wearing a mask during Covid-19, as many Deaf people rely on lipreading and facial expression
- What is deafness?
- Coping with communication difficulties
- Deaf culture
- Tips for effective communication
- What is BSL vs. Makaton
- Getting a Deaf person’s attention
- Deaf Technology
- Basic signing / greetings
The session will be held in person at Better Bankside Community Space.
You are welcome to join this event if you live or work in Bankside.
Click the register button above and use the password Bankside to get signed up for free.
This event is part of Better You, our wellbeing programme to help you start the new year with a spring in your step. January is the perfect time to try new activities and hone your skills, and Better You is here to help you do just that. Our series of free activities aims to have something for everyone, and we’d love you to sign up to other events!